Thank you for your interest in Bisson Transportation. We provide great benefits to our Owner Operators. These benefits include:

  • Base plate and excise tax assistance
  • COMDATA fuel card
  • Ability to operate under Bisson's IFTA and have Bisson prepare fuel taxes
  • NY EZ-Pass with no admin fees, only actual toll charges
  • Bobtail and physical damage insurance available

Bisson Transportation provides the following at no charge to you:

  • Pre-sign on DOT inspections **
  • Pre-sign on drug screening and DOT physical (when required) **
  • Truck decals with Bisson Transportation logo and required DOT numbers (provided the work is completed at a Bisson authorized shop) **
  • Random drug screening
  • NY HUT application

** These fees will be charged to the Owner Operator if lease agreement is terminated in the first six months

How we pay

We have a 24-hour pay out schedule. So, when you turn your paperwork in by 4 PM on a "business" day, you get paid the following business day at 4 PM. We do require original proof of deliveries and logs in order for this to be processed. This can be done via mail, Fed-ex, or in person.

We haul paper out of Maine about 99% of the time, with three major shippers. We have a 99% on time rating, which allows us to be on the higher end of rates made available by these shippers.

Have your own authority?

If you have your own operating authority you can still haul for Bisson Transportation. The structure is different. We offer 80% of the gross line haul, but you must provide your own insurance and name Bisson Transportation as the lease carrier, your Cargo insurance must cover $100,000.00 and your certificate must include coverage for wet paper claims. We must have a signed Trailer Interchange Agreement with you. You are not eligible for Bisson Transportation's Safety Bonuses as we don't monitor your logs. You can use a Com Data fuel card to receive advances if you agree to establish an escrow account up to $2500 taken out of your settlements incrementally. You also must establish the escrow account if you have a deductible on your insurance policies. We cannot offer you our Base Plate or EZ Pass programs since you wouldn't be under our authority.

Minimum Requirements to be a Bisson Transportation Owner Operator

Please be aware of our minimum requirements to become an Owner Operator with Bisson Transportation.

  • Shall be at least 24 years old.
  • Shall be able to read, write and speak the English language.
  • Shall be physically qualified to drive a motor vehicle in accordance with Subpart E-Physical Qualifications and Examinations of Part 391 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR).
  • Shall pass the required Bisson Transportation Drug Screen Test
  • Shall have a valid commercial drivers license (CDL), Class A
  • Driving record will not exceed:
  • One at fault and one not at fault accident in the past 36 months
  • Three(3) moving violations in the past 36 months, with no more than two (2) violations in the past 12 months
  • No more than three (3) non-moving violations on an individual MVR in the past 36 months (overweight's, seat belts, brake, equipment, log book, etc.)
  • Own Tractor-Shall have 24 months verifiable over the road experience and meet all other qualifications
  • Your tractor must be able to pass a pre-sign on DOT Inspection, and if going to be base plated by Bisson, your tractor will have to have a Maine State Inspection also. This will be done at the Auburn, Maine terminal.
  • Your tractor is required to be able to haul 45,000 pound loads, and 5th wheel height must be 47"

Unacceptable Items:

  • Three (3) at fault accidents within the last 36 months
  • Any hit and run accident involving bodily injury
  • Any conviction for reckless speed
  • Any conviction for DWI/OUI - if over 5 years we can discuss
  • Any conviction for fleeing or eluding arrest
  • Any conviction for vehicular manslaughter or negligent homicide
  • Any driver with two (2) major speed violations (over 20+ MPH over the limit)